Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    splebeau
    I'm missing something... 762X51, does your model 11 NOT work properly? I JUST bought mine (only a couple 100 rounds fired) and have had no issues. If you're experiencing issues I'd really like to know what they are just in case it proves to be a problem for the entire line and not just a single rifle.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by splebeau View Post
    I'm missing something... 762X51, does your model 11 NOT work properly?
    No it does not (See my post #52) . It will not pick up the last round from the magazine. I was able to swap magazines with my 223 Axis and the model 11VT will feed all the rounds (most of the time) from that particular magazine but it's really almost unacceptable that just the minute manufacturing tolerances present in the magazines are enough to keep the rifle from functioning. Honestly if one wanted more magazines for one of these rifles I'd suggest ordering several and then trying them to see which ones actually work. Savage's reputation for accuracy is well deserved but In my experience they also have a reputation for balky functioning. I'm not a newbie at this whole rifle thing and I have owned and used Remington 700s, Winchester model 70s (both pre-64 and later push feeds) Ruger M77s (again push feeds and the later controlled round feed models) as well as commercial Mauser actions and I can say with first hand experience that Savage rifles have the greatest propensity to malfunction than any other bolt action rifle that I've ever personally used. My first Precision Carbine would extract the fired case but leave it lying atop the next round in the magazine. My model 16 Weather Warrior would not feed the last two cartridges out of the magazine since the magazine was about 1/8" short of fully seating against the base of the receiver and now my 11VT won't feed the last round from SOME magazines unless I apply upward pressure to the rear of the magazine base. All of these problems may be deemed fixable but the last thing I want to do with a new rifle is fix it. Too late to make a long story short, but to answer your question, I do not think there is any "issue" concerning this particular model of rifle other than Savage's typical QC problems. If you got a rifle that will feed all the cartridges and extract and eject the spent casings then thank your lucky stars and congratulations. I'm almost certain your rifle will prove accurate. My 223 Axis is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, plus it works!

splebeau
    I'm sure glad I read these posts before recommending this gun to others. Were the Axis .223 mags chambered in .308?

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by splebeau View Post
    I'm sure glad I read these posts before recommending this gun to others. Were the Axis .223 mags chambered in .308?
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question but both my Axis and 11VT are chambered in .223. An Axis magazine for a 308 will not retain or feed 223 cartridges since the lips are too wide to retain the cartridges and there is a block in the 223 mags to hold the cartridges forward in the magazine. Savage rifles have a lot of pluses; the user changeable barrels, the floating bolt head and the changeable bolt handle for instance. I think that if you could test a rifle's function before actually purchasing it you could make absolutely certain it works before you buy it. Alas, I don't think that's an option with the 11VT since I don't think Dick's will remove the trigger lock let alone allow you to cycle a magazine full of dummy cartridges through the rifle. I think that should I EVER buy another Savage rifle I'll insist on function testing it. If you can do this, take one empty cartridge and enough dummy loads to fill the magazine. Test the extraction and ejection with the empty then test the magazine and the rifle's feeding ability with the dummies. If the rifle balks at ejecting the dummies don't write it off since it was designed to eject an empty cartridge without the extra weight of a projectile (this will be more obvious the larger the caliber). If it will eject a loaded cartridge so much the better but it MUST eject an empty. As long as you can function test the rifle you're considering buying (and it works) there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Savage rifle but in my experience there are far too many that leave the factory half-assed.