Thread: Aluminum Chassis stock for the Axis. Discuss.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Predator53
    I love the idea...and I know it can happen..but its going to cost a good piece of change and time for programming the machine to do this and most machine shops are nt going to take walkins....I work in a machine and they want to mass produce....they don t want to do a one time job....Ive had a few ideas in the past like alumi nocks for xbows before they even came out..alum triggers for Barnett Quadrant 400s..but the company was worried about liability..so. it went down the tubes...so I d say draw out the plans..talk to a engineer and find a specialty job....goodluck I think it would be an awsome project..

Dr Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider338 View Post
    Why not a trunnion type arrangement where you have a box (for lack of a better word) made for a specific action (Savage, Remy, LA,SA or whatever)?? The box would drop into a stock that fits the trunnion box regardless of the action length. The box cross bolts into the stock.

Basically one size stock for manufacturing ease and various boxes to house the various action spacings. No need for bedding and should be very accurate. Picture an XLR chassis with a drop in block machined for the various spacings.

That's a great idea, but I'm not sure how stiff it would wind up being. (because the wood going around the aluminum chassis would be thin) Sure... the aluminum chassis would be stiff to the action, and the rear stock could be tight. BUT... a wood fore end would be wobbly. Unless it still had a full aluminum under chassis... but that would make it heavy, and expensive.

Basically, to accommodate the diffident length, and width actions... AND, barrel contours... the wood overstock would have to be at the size of the largest gun. So... on a light weight, short action... the stock may seem large.

(just thinking out loud)

Although... it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator53 View Post
    I love the idea...and I know it can happen..but its going to cost a good piece of change and time for programming the machine to do this and most machine shops are nt going to take walkins....I work in a machine and they want to mass produce....they don t want to do a one time job....Ive had a few ideas in the past like alumi nocks for xbows before they even came out..alum triggers for Barnett Quadrant 400s..but the company was worried about liability..so. it went down the tubes...so I d say draw out the plans..talk to a engineer and find a specialty job....goodluck I think it would be an awsome project..

The reason a shop doesn't want a "walk-in" is becasue it takes time to set up a machine to cut a part. And... most of the time the "Set-up" price is added to a batch of parts.

Since you worked at a shop... I'm not telling you anything you don't know... but I figured I'd throw that out for the other guys reading this.

BUT... I'm not sure why the shop wouldn't just make a small batch of the parts, and put them on the shelf.
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 04-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    BUT... a wood fore end would be wobbly. Unless it still had a full aluminum under chassis... but that would make it heavy, and expensive.
    So you don't use a wood fore end. You embed the recoil lug in the aluminum chassis, and then mill a slightly different barrel nut similar to an AR15 barrel nut with internal threads for the barrel, and a set of external threads onto which you screw a free floating handgrip.

Dr Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    So you don't use a wood fore end. You embed the recoil lug in the aluminum chassis, and then mill a slightly different barrel nut similar to an AR15 barrel nut with internal threads for the barrel, and a set of external threads onto which you screw a free floating handgrip.
    Interesting.......

Off the top of your head... do you know what the Axis barrel nut thread is?

thomae
    To the best of my knowledge (smarter people on the forum, please correct me as required):

Standard shank Savage barrels and receivers (including Axis) are 1.055" x 20tpi.

Standard AR15 barrel threads are 1.25x18tpi.

I think you would have to deal with the extra diameter of a handguard around the barrel by using higher scope mounts and probably a modified cheekrest to move the shooters head higher to deal with the higher scope mounting.
    Last edited by thomae; 04-04-2013 at 08:16 AM.

sinman
    AR barrel threads are .8125"x18tpi

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    To the best of my knowledge (smarter people on the forum, please correct me as required):

Standard shank Savage barrels and receivers (including Axis) are 1.055" x 20tpi.

Standard AR15 barrel threads are 1.25x18tpi.

I think you would have to deal with the extra diameter of a handguard around the barrel by using higher scope mounts and probably a modified cheekrest to move the shooters head higher to deal with the higher scope mounting.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    AR barrel threads are .8125"x18tpi
    Thanks for the correction...