Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thomae
    Upfront disclaimer: I get no kickbacks from Dick's Sporting Goods (DSG), and am not an employee thereof.

Today, I went into my local DSG to see if they had a specimen on the rack. I had not even finished my "Do you have the new Savage..." when the CSR behind the counter smiled and pointed to the top rack. "I thought you would be in sooner or later to look at these," he quipped. He and I have had a lot of very good rifle discussions over the past few years and he knows me as a Savage guy.

Anyway, I looked at the rifle. It is relatively heavy. I didn't have a scale, but I'd guess about 10+ pounds at least, not what you want for walking around the woods rifle, but fine for shooting off a rest. The stock has the wider beavertail and although it flexed when I applied pressure with my hand, I would guess that there was enough room between the stock and barrel that even with shooting from a bipod, the stock would not touch the barrel. (Those of you who have tried it may certainly correct me if I am wrong...I'm just guessing here).

One interesting thing my friend behind the counter did say was that most of DSG discounts specifically exclude firearms, but if you open up a new DSG credit card account, you could get 10% off anything, including firearms, that would bring the pre-tax $599 price down to $539.10.

That's what I know.

pg637b
    Is the vt barrel stainless

expfcwintergreen
    Is the vt barrel stainless?
    ================
    I haven't seen it yet (I hope to today), but at $600, I doubt it. That seems like too good price for a heavy barreled rifle with even a marginal scope to also have a stainless steel barrel.
    Last edited by expfcwintergreen; 03-10-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    One interesting thing my friend behind the counter did say was that most of DSG discounts specifically exclude firearms, but if you open up a new DSG credit card account, you could get 10% off anything, including firearms, that would bring the pre-tax $599 price down to $539.10.

That's what I know.

I was looking at a .223 & .22-250 in the 11VT last night at my local Dick's in Erie County. They are now priced at $499. That is lower priced that most used .22-250s I see & less than a M25 lightweight walking varminter. Although the stocks seem somewhat unique they are cheap feeling & back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well. I also don't care for the jelly like recoil pad. OK other than the stock (and the scope) it is a heck of a deal. I asked them what calibers they came in. I was sure there was a .308 but they didn't say but this thread confirmed it. Do they come in .204?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    ... back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well.
    It is generally understood that the Savage Rifle works best with the tang fully floated, so a slight gap between the tang and the stock is actually considered ideal.

Basic Member
    It is generally understood that the Savage Rifle works best with the tang fully floated, so a slight gap between the tang and the stock is actually considered ideal.
    Last night as I was reading this long thread I had not got that far into the thread to see that post. That I wasn't aware of until minutes before reading what you posted Thomae. I suppose now that I know this I will pay closer attention. I should check the B.Mag to see what is is like. I do like the rifle. I was hoping that someone would have chimed in on available calibers. Are they only .223, .22-250 & .308?

Sitting Duck
    Dick's, in Tucson, said the VT 11 would only be offered in .233 and .308. Unless DSG changed their offering which is possible.

I purchased the .308 and like it a lot. Paid $549 for mine though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Duck View Post
    Dick's, in Tucson, said the VT 11 would only be offered in .233 and .308. Unless DSG changed their offering which is possible.

I purchased the .308 and like it a lot. Paid $549 for mine though.

Unless they are mistaken. I didn't confirm there was a .308 at the local store but I physically held the .223 & .22-250 . I am sure there is no 204 Ruger as my M25 204 I bought last year from Dick's was the 1st in that caliber they ever sold, excuse me, 1st .204 ever.

I don't have any use for a .223, after comparing Hornady loads in 204, 223 & 22-250 in 40gr. At 500yd the 40gr 204 drops 11 inches less than the 223 does and it has more energy than the 223 does at 350 yd. At 150yd the 204 40gr has more energy & speed than the 22-250 40gr does at 150yd & at 500yd it barely has less energy than the 22-250 does at 400yd. The only benefit the 22-250 has is the availability of heavier bullets. I might be wrong.

s002wjh
    what do you mean by "tang floated"??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    You know, when the astronauts drink Tang in zero gravity.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    The tang area, near the safety, it doesn't rest on the stock, it "floats."