Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
Just wondering out loud and not meaning to hijack the thread but.... This pressure point is acting as a vibration dampener to reduce the whipping action at the end of the barrel. Mass(material density being a factor) and length of the unsupported barrel effect its natural vibration frequency as well as amplitude, basicaly all that determines how much a barrel can whip or move and at what frequency it will be moving. The exciting force being sufficient to generate harmonics is the detonation of the round and the wave of vibration moving down the barrel towards the mzzle end. So enter the pressure point to reduce the movement of the barrel by shortening the unsuported length of the barrel you have reduced the amplitude but increased the frequency. This is effective I have seen it.

So my question is, in this situation would a different load be the solution rather than a pressure point? Is the design of the barrel i.e... diameter, length and or material wrong?
Very interesting study in physics. Am I to conclude that you believe having pressure points on the barrel is more desirable to increase accuracy instead of a free floated barrel?