Thread: Savage 110xp or 10xp for 6.5 creedmoor build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny-bravo View Post
    The only advantage in this case is less money spent on rifle, as i stated in my op what the co$t differences were between the long and short
    I got that you were saving money by buying a LA, my point is you have the magazine space why not use it? There isn't going to be any difference in the cost of the new barrel. Plus there isn't a huge difference in the cost of components.

Who said i didnt....? I actually have been buying reloading equipment so i can work up my own loads like the rest!!!
    You did with this comment:

I started to look into the 6.5x47 lapua, then i stumbled uppon this
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949...tail-box-of-20
    $64 for a box of 20..... YIKES!!!
    A guy who reloads would have been pricing components instead of looking at loaded ammunition. With the 6.5-284 you at least have more options for brass as even Hornady makes it.

I have a Remington 700 in the .308 another one in a .300blk and a third in a 300WM(LA) also the Ruger M77 mark II in a .270, got all my actions covered already, now just building for fun besides I was under the impression that Hornady came out with the 6.5 creedmoor just so they can create unrivled factory "MATCH" ammo for it like no one else.... dunno, I could be wrong
    My point about buying .308/.30-06 was if you are relying on factory ammunition, it is far cheaper to buy either of those cartridges than the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you want match quality. As far as unrivaled "MATCH" ammunition from Hornady it is pretty easy to claim that when you are the only one making and marketing it. I'm pretty sure that Hornady came out with the Creedmoor just to sell more ammunition and jump on the 6.5 bandwagon. Maybe to fix perceived problems with the .260 Rem and the longish heavy/VLD 6.5 bullets in a SA magazine. "... dunno, I could be wrong"

If I was using a long action then a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 AI would be my choices. For a short action if you want a repeater then 6.5 CM would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    My point about buying .308/.30-06 was if you are relying on factory ammunition, it is far cheaper to buy either of those cartridges than the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you want match quality. As far as unrivaled "MATCH" ammunition from Hornady it is pretty easy to claim that when you are the only one making and marketing it. I'm pretty sure that Hornady came out with the Creedmoor just to sell more ammunition and jump on the 6.5 bandwagon. Maybe to fix perceived problems with the .260 Rem and the longish heavy/VLD 6.5 bullets in a SA magazine. "... dunno, I could be wrong"
    Actually, 6.5 CM Hornady Match ammo is less expensive than .308 Win Hornady Match ammo by a dollar or so a box($25.49 vs $26.99 @ Midway). The problem wasn't percieved with long bullets and the .260 Rem, it was/is a reality and the shorter 6.5 CM case will let you seat way out and stay in the magazine length. Not important to the guy who is shooting with his buddies on the weekend but very important to the guy trying to win a match or where quickness is needed. I believe the guy from Creedmoor Sports asked them to build it.
    More shooting, less typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Actually, 6.5 CM Hornady Match ammo is less expensive than .308 Win Hornady Match ammo by a dollar or so a box($25.49 vs $26.99 @ Midway). The problem wasn't percieved with long bullets and the .260 Rem, it was/is a reality and the shorter 6.5 CM case will let you seat way out and stay in the magazine length. Not important to the guy who is shooting with his buddies on the weekend but very important to the guy trying to win a match or where quickness is needed. I believe the guy from Creedmoor Sports asked them to build it.
    Hornady isn't the only game in town for .308 match ammunition like it is for the Creedmoor, and you can find .308 match for $1 per round if you look for it. That is why I'd build a LR rifle in it if I was buying ammunition. My "perceived problem" comes from the fact that several people use the .260 successfully with long bullets from a SA magazine everyday, Hornady just wanted in on the 6.5 movement. Nothing wrong with the Creedmoor, just not what I'd use in a LA.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    My "perceived problem" comes from the fact that several people use the .260 successfully with long bullets from a SA magazine everyday
    In short actions other than the Savage, though, they give up powder capacity and velocity and thus some of the long range advantage of the cartridge by doing so. The Creedmoor gives up nothing when constrained to 2.825" max OAL. If the Creedmoor offered nothing, it would not have caught on as well as it has. For the guys genuinely limited on magazine length, the Creedmoor can give them a touch more velocity with the longer bullets.