Thread: Scope Mounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    I keep seeing people talking about having these problems and they make me scratch my head. I've worked with 6 different Savages, from an older "flat-back", to $400 Walmart package guns to a brand new LRP, at this point and have yet to need more than 3 MOA or so of adjustment on the scope after mounting. This is using 5 different brands and styles of bases, 7 different styles and brands of rings and 8 different scopes. 4 of them have and 2 currently wear Burris Signature rings of some flavor and none have needed offset inserts.

Make sure that the bases are straight on the action and true to each other. Remove the scope and rings and loosen the screws for the bases. Lay a steel straight edge along the side of the bases and push them over to one side with the straight edge. This makes sure that they are true to the action and each other. Tighten the screws for the bases. Install the bottom half of each ring making sure that the cross bolt is pushed all the way forward in the slot as you tighten the screw. Install the scope using the "0" inserts and set it to the center of its adjustment range and see where that leaves you. If you're still way off, remove everything and lay a straight edge down the mounting screw holes on the top of the action and see if they're grossly misaligned.

If it turns out that they are, the best solution that I have is a set of the "Leupold" (style, not necessarily brand) bases combined with the Burris Signature rings. The rings allow you to actually use the windage adjustment built into the bases without binding up and potentially ruining the scope. Adjust the rear base to get your boresight close with the rings just a bit loose. Tighten everything down and leave it.
    Potentially ruining the scope. This newbie's starting to get nervous and considering going to the local gunsmith to have my scopes properly mounted and boresighted. He'll probably charge me $25 per rifle. Pathetic? I have no gun vice or Tipton's Best... that thing costs $100 plus shipping.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger SS View Post
    Potentially ruining the scope. This newbie's starting to get nervous and considering going to the local gunsmith to have my scopes properly mounted and boresighted. He'll probably charge me $25 per rifle. Pathetic? I have no gun vice or Tipton's Best... that thing costs $100 plus shipping.
    No chance that you will potentially ruin the scope with Burris Signature rings. That's why I suggest that type of ring if you use windage adjustable bases. I'd never consider such a setup without them.

thomae
    xxx
    Last edited by thomae; 11-26-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: deleted my own post...it was off topic.

Both guns are Accutrigger guns. I am using Warne M902/902 2 piece bases which Warne lists for Savage Accu-Trigger, Round Receiver, All Center Fire. I have used Weaver type bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings on other rifles without this problem. I did not use a straight edge to check the bases because I have not had this problem before. I do not want to take the scopes off now because hunting season is now open and the rifles are sighted in. If I need to switch to a 1 piece base I will. Since I used the correct bases, according to Warne, I don't know what the problem is. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks