Thread: The right Bullet for .308 Criterion barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Do not seat bullets .02 from the lands. That's too close, and tolerances being imperfect, you will likely get some rounds touching and some rounds off the lands. Set back 0.010" and try again. Also, no matter what kind of stock you have, it may need to be bedded. I have the McMillan 10FP, and it shot right at 0.9" for 5 shot groups until it was bedded; then it shot 0.38" with the same ammo. Depending on what makes contact, if there are aluminum bedding blocks in your stock, you can use J-B Weld to put some on each block, of course with release agent. Too much diddling with various bullets will make you crazy! The SMK will do fine; Noslers ditto; Bergers jump just fine (I've shot under 0.3" with Bergers jumping 0.25"). Also, break-ins vary, and if you do these things, and don't get under 0.5", get the Tubb Fire-lapping system, called Final Finish.
    Jim

!55 smk's pushed by 42.6 gr. IMR 4895 out of a 1:10 cbi 26" after playing a little with the seating and settling at 0.018 off the lands gave me .335 5 shot groups at 100 and opened up to.645at 200.
    You will only find out after you try.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    Do not seat bullets .02 from the lands. That's too close, and tolerances being imperfect, you will likely get some rounds touching and some rounds off the lands. Set back 0.010" and try again. Also, no matter what kind of stock you have, it may need to be bedded. I have the McMillan 10FP, and it shot right at 0.9" for 5 shot groups until it was bedded; then it shot 0.38" with the same ammo. Depending on what makes contact, if there are aluminum bedding blocks in your stock, you can use J-B Weld to put some on each block, of course with release agent. Too much diddling with various bullets will make you crazy! The SMK will do fine; Noslers ditto; Bergers jump just fine (I've shot under 0.3" with Bergers jumping 0.25"). Also, break-ins vary, and if you do these things, and don't get under 0.5", get the Tubb Fire-lapping system, called Final Finish.
    Jim
    Im not sure what to think about this. Dont seat them .020 off the lands because some will touch and some will be off. Last time I checked if they are .020 off the lands then they are not touching the lands they are .020 off the lands. Im thinking that they are not .040 off the lands because they are .020 off the lands.You may be much more knowledgeable than I but that statement does not have reason to me unless you are not aware that COAL and the ogive are different distances or possibly we are not experienced enough to know this. Im not looking for an arguement but many people put bergers in the lands on a stadard chamber with great results.
    I am but a 580 F/TR shooter doing it with 155's CC's in a CBI 10T 28". Almost everyone that beats me has a berger.... in the lands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Im not sure what to think about this. Dont seat them .020 off the lands because some will touch and some will be off. Last time I checked if they are .020 off the lands then they are not touching the lands they are .020 off the lands. Im thinking that they are not .040 off the lands because they are .020 off the lands.You may be much more knowledgeable than I but that statement does not have reason to me unless you are not aware that COAL and the ogive are different distances or possibly we are not experienced enough to know this. Im not looking for an arguement but many people put bergers in the lands on a stadard chamber with great results.
    I am but a 580 F/TR shooter doing it with 155's CC's in a CBI 10T 28". Almost everyone that beats me has a berger.... in the lands.
    You are right about the seating depth. I misinterpreted 0.02" as 0.002", and you should not seat "barely off" the lands, for the reason I stated. Either shorter OAL or into the lands. I agree that [U]usually[U] the rifle will shoot better jammed into the lands, and I don't think there's anywhere near the "high-pressure" risk that people typically caution about. I have quit seating into the lands, since my aiming error is always more than any advantage I could see on the target.
    Thanks for correcting my error. Those Berger-shootin' F/TR folks also obsess about bullet pointers and meplat uniformity, and I don't blame you if you don't do those things.
    Jim

stangfish
    Those Berger-shootin' F/TR folks also obsess about bullet pointers and meplat uniformity, and I don't blame you if you don't do those things.
    Jim
    He he...obsession is relative!

Do not seat bullets .02 from the lands. That's too close, and tolerances being imperfect, you will likely get some rounds touching and some rounds off the lands. Set back 0.010" and try again.
    Jim
    while were at it, my poor learning shows .010 is closer then .020 or are you now wanting .030? another confused person.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor