Thread: Bolt is sticking like you would not believe.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nandy
    I wished you experience with savage would have been better. Maybe the problem is in fact the brass and then the blame will lay elsewhere. I am sure that if you become a paid member you will find someone to take this gun off your hands and not loose much if any.
    Watch this video before you go shoot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1dd...ature=youtu.be

Now, if you still get your bolt stuck do what he is doing. If the bolt opens easily as in the video then your problem is the rifle, more specifically the bolt handle. When he places that stick between the baffle and the bolt handle ramps in effect it does increase the primary extraction in the rifle to make it work on those rifles that the bolt is not up to specs. Im not sure what he is using to do this. I thought it was a feeler gauge but it looks too slim. Maybe a small fathead screwdriver will work. Make sure you place it between the ramps or the test will not be as successful.
    An after market handle will definitely fix a primary extraction problem. You can also pursue it with savage but you will probably have to send the rifle to them.
    If the bolt will not come open then your problem lays elsewhere including the brass.
    Hope this help.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    ...if you still get your bolt stuck do what he is doing. If the bolt opens easily as in the video then your problem is the rifle, more specifically the bolt handle. ...An after market handle will definitely fix a primary extraction problem.
    Hope this help.
    Based on your comments, it is probable that you have a primary extraction issue or perhaps a rough chamber. Searching the forum for posts about problems similar to yours, those two issues seem to usually be the culprits.

A. If the issue is primary extraction, getting a new bolt handle will fix the issue if the new handle is correctly formed. This could be done through Savage or through an aftermarket supplier.

B. Here is something else you can do, bypassing Savage, but requiring at least a few tools and the appropriate skill.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?144-Fixing-Weak-Primary-Extraction

C. If it is a rough chamber, there might be marks on your brass (You could try putting sharpie all over the brass, safely chambering and extracting the round and then see if there were any scratches that might be caused by a rough chamber.) The fix would likely be either that you could send the rifle back to Savage and try to get them to replace the barrel or polish the chamber, or perhaps you (or a local gunsmith) could polish the chamber.

If you talk to the Savage customer service folks again, you could ask if they will send you a prepaid shipping label. It can't hurt to ask. Also, one of my techniques for getting good customer service is that I always make it a point to ask the Customer Service Representative to repeat their name and/or ID number at the beginning of the conversation. That lets them know that I am taking notes (which I am) and can provide their superiors with feedback on their performance (which I do on a regular basis...both good and bad) If things go badly, don't hesitate to ask to speak to a supervisor. You may be dealing with a brand new person (or perhaps an idiot - even good companies can hire buffoons from time to time).

Please don't give up. We're trying to help you.

DreamTheater
    Thomae, really appreciate it here. I want to keep this gun - there simply isnt anything else out there this accurate at this price point. We'll see what happens b/c the alternative is that I trade it in, get the $300 that I was offered for it, cough up $500 more to get a Ruger M77 Mark II and get a less accurate gun. Though I do love the appearance of the Ruger.

One other thing I desperately want to do is see if there is a Revolution Stock that fits my Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FHSAK w/ accustock and accutrigger. I started a thread in the aftermarket stock forum but havent had any traction there. If anyone can comment on that here, you would find me to be very appreciateive.

One last word - I am very passionate and therefore often defensive about the things I love. I hope that I have not come in here pissing people off. I thought handirifle's comment was in a little bad form, but even then - not a big deal at all. I am just left reeling - and I truly mean that - as traditionally any facet of firearms is surrounded by some of the most polite people you will ever hope to meet. Call Kangaroo Carry concealed holsters. You can talk to their president - a truly nice guy. Walk around Cheaper than Dirt in Texas. Everyone says "excuse me" and is in a good mood. Go to your local gun range and most of them are full of people who will chat you up nicely.

Or call Savage and get two people who show absolutely NO INTEREST in generating a solution for me, dont give a **** whether or not my situation is fixed, and even start off the whole thing by firing accusations at me. This is what has got me so incredibly bent out of shape. God I hope this gun gets fixed (it is sounding more and more like a bolt handle situation) and if it does I will be quite pleased to retain this gun. If it doesnt - hell, I'd be happy to throw my gun in the river out of spite and go buy a Ruger.

If I do, I'll tell you guys which river.