Thread: Picatinny/Weaver Rail And Barrel Change Question..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus Dei View Post
    but I'm wondering if there's enough length to work with for eye relief-especially with a short-coupled scope.
    Which way do you plan on moving your to short already scope? :) If your using a short scope, your not going to need it long in the front!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Opus Dei
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    Which way do you plan on moving your to short already scope? :) If your using a short scope, your not going to need it long in the front!
    Well, Yes and No. It's somewhat dependant upon eye relief from person-person. I have an early-'80s Leupold 4-20X Vari-X III that has ample room between bells but that scope needs a lot more relief with me than other scopes or I have excessive lens shadowing. I've even seen online references to others having the same issue with that particular scope. But that scope is on my 700. Not to be pedantic, but close-coupled doesn't mean short-as in "to short already scope". I mean that in the sense that some scopes have a proportionately short tube in relation to the bells and there isn't as much flexibility in ring placement. Therefore, one must rely upon a rail to provide any needed relief correction.

My model 10 has a Weaver Tactical 3X-15X that is fairly close-coupled but has a great, consistent eye box for me. My concerns were based upon a short rail perhaps not allowing enough linear movement to compensate. Although I've shot for years, this is only my second scoped rifle and that finicky Leupold gave me pause for concern.

Yes, I'll still have to pull the action to swap barrels due to the stock design, but I find won't need to remove the rail (that I will use Loctite on the mount screws). I can retain it with the barrel blocks as I had mentioned just fine. The GG&G QD mount will obviate banging the scope with the nut wrench.

As yet, it's not permanently affixed since the intended primary barrel won't be here for a couple months more-and then refinishing remains. I wanted to get this all thrashed-out before Cerakoting. Thanks again, all; I'm pretty pleased with how everything is sorting out. It comes from asking questions and doing research.
    Last edited by Opus Dei; 09-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.