Thread: Screwed or OK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aimhigh
    It may be a while. I was going to use the Leupold split-bases that they had in stock at the gun store. Lucky for me I tried them when I was still in the store and found they didn't work (even though according to the packaging they should). So I'm going to order the Burris bases, reloading dies, bullets etc. The gun store wanted $32 for Rem Core-lokts and $19 for Privi (only 140's were available). No thanks - I'll "roll my own". But...........it will have to wait until next payday!

Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
    It may be a while. I was going to use the Leupold split-bases that they had in stock at the gun store. Lucky for me I tried them when I was still in the store and found they didn't work (even though according to the packaging they should). So I'm going to order the Burris bases, reloading dies, bullets etc.
    Older Savage receivers had a flat area on the rear receiver ring and took two different shaped scope bases front And rear. Newer actions have "round back" receivers and take the same base at both ends. I presume your gun shop tried to sell the older style bases.

ellobo
    Going back over a year of posts there was a discussion about if the round rear matched the front rear. If memory serves, many did not. Place a straitedge on the front and see if it matches up with the rear. If they do not it could be a problem by putting stress on a scope tube and messing it up. Wont take much misalignement to cause a problem.

El Lobo

Aimhigh
    The split bases were both round. The problem was the bolt would hit the windage knobs. If you reversed them the base would interfere with the ejection port. If you look at the reviews on the Midway website for the Leupold 2-piece bases (product no. 855592) you can see what I mean. Some found a way to adapt them but it still looked bad. Then look at the Burris (Midway product no. 115307) reviews - 5 stars across the board.