Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
Please do not double post. Your topics was merged, and pulled out of the standard caliber due to them both being considered wildcat calibers.

It sounds to me like you have a lot going on, and there could be several factors causing your poor grouping problem. To start, do you have wind flags? Shooting without them is a waste of time. Yes, wind will GREATLY affect groups. They dont have to be fancy, just a few pieces of survayors ribben on sticks placed every 25 yards will do.

Second, What kind of rest are you using? A good solid set up, (Front rest or bi-pod and a good rear bag.) makes shooting groups much eaiser.

Third, What happens if you just shoot 3 shot groups? Are they all in one ragged hole. When developing a load I ony shoot 3 shooot groups. 3 shoots proves the load, 5 shoots prove the shooter.

Fourth, what all have your tried? IE powder, bullets, weights, (Both powder, and bullets.) seating depth, brass, brass prep, ETC. (It may be that your guns don't like wat your feeding them, let the gun tell you what it likes don't force feed it something that you read in a magazine or the internet that someone else is doing.)

Some things to consider, make sure the scope bases and everything else is tight. I find that with Factory Savage barrels they shoot thier best when dirty, usaly after 20 rounds. Experiment with diferent bullets both weight, and maker. Try diferent powders. I dont wait between shoots, I find that the barrel has extreamly hot to affect accuracy. Most bechrest shooters (Both short range and lonag range) try to get there shoots off as fast as they can (Depending on the conditions.) they dont worry about the heat generated by more than 5 shoots, and they shoot increadable groups.
Good information. I wasn't aware that barrel heat is not a "grimlin" to fixate about..............like I've been doing.