justinp61

With a "normal" rifle and average full length resizing dies you can "shim" the reloading dies for minimum resizing for "YOUR" chamber, but please note it's a "plus and minus" reloading world we live in. I set my full length dies to touch the shell holder as per the instructions and go over center with the slight "bump".

I then use headspacing shims under the lock ring of the die to control the shoulder hight of the die and how far it pushes the shoulder back.

For partial full length resizing I use "bigger" washers under the lock ring and "NOT" push the shoulder back.

For full length resizing and only pushing the shoulder back .001 to .002 I use the headspace shims below.

A alternate method is to use the custom length shell holders below to control cartridge headspace and the amount the shoulder can be pushed back.

A "non-normal" reloading condition is reloading for surplus military rifles with "long and fat" military chambers where full length resizing can cause case head separations from over working the cartridge at the base of the case.

Below is an example of firing a commercial .303 British cartridge case in a longer and fatter military chamber and stretching in the web area.

The quality of your brass and "who" makes the cartridge cases also makes a big difference in how you resize your cases.

Below from reloader Magazine.
NOTE: With proper firefoming techniques and not over resizing your cases (pushing the shoulders back too far) the cases below would have last longer and not had case head separations.