Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
Looks like I can see an ejector mark in the head of your fired brass - that would mean high pressure. Oiling the case makes for extra high pressure (actually doesn't increase pressure, but increases bolt thrust a LOT).
I would certainly try different ammo before sending it back.
+1
I would totally agree. There is clearly an ejector mark on the case, what is hard to tell from looking at the picture is I would say that there is primer cratering (Flow back into the primer hole.) on the case as well. Both point to signs of overpressure. Take your fingernail and run it over the primer if you feel a lip, that is primmer cratering. Hard primary extraction (Bolt lift is sticky, or clicky especially at the top of the stroke.) is also a sign of high pressure. I say that signs are pointing to hot ammo. I would highly suspect the ammo, more than anything being wrong with the rifle. Do the necks and shoulders look shiny? No, Savage chambers are not perfect, (many times a tad bit off center or crooked.) usually rougher than a custom chamber, but I seriously doubt it would have anything to do with a pressure problem.