Quote Originally Posted by Hatari
I learned from post by 358Hammer that time and truing action is not necessary for savage. So,
1: Skim bed the action
2: Install heavy duty recoil lug
3: Nitride action, bolt and barrel
4: Adjust Accutrigger
5: Install scope base and rings with supplied scope
If you have suggestions whether to do or not to do, pls chime in. BTW I'm looking at either the Model: 12 Long Range Precision or the Model: 12 VLP DBM
I would totally disagree that any of the things listed are necessary for good accuracy, or would significantly or even remotely improve accuracy. I would also argue that a T&T job would show more notable affects than anything listed, as it would improve, and uniform ignition. Bedding an action is a good thing, but honestly Savage are VERY tolerant on bedding, and though it is a cheap thing to do, and I would highly suggest that it be done, you may or not see a difference in accuracy. Installing a heavy duty lug is also a good idea because the stamped lugs on most factory guns are bent, and out of tolerance, it will not show up on accuracy. If you got a 12LRPV or something with a target action I would say you are wasting your time as the large shank actions usually have fairly straight recoil lugs. Nitrating a bolt, action, or barrel, is something I would not suggest; it will not have any effect on accuracy. Adjusting the trigger can be a good or a bad thing, you need to get the trigger to where it is at a repeatable and reliable state, many time when adjusting the target accu-trigger you can get it too light and it will be more of a hindrance than any help what so ever. It will cause slam fires, when closing the bolt, which locks up everything until you recock, do it several times in a row will make you want to throw the rifle. Last question just don’t make since to me, get the best rings, bases and scope you can is the answer. Of the 2 guns you have listed either will do fine in it factory form.

If you want to improve accuracy look no further than the man in the mirror. The old saying hold true, "How do you get to Carnegie hall? The answer is practice practice practice." To start, don't worry about long range until you have mastered short range. I would not recommend even trying to shoot past 200 yards until you have gotten to a point where you can place every shot in at half MOA. That means you should be able to shoot a 1/2 inch 5 shot 100 yard groups or a 1 inch 5 shoot 200 yard groups every time you set up. Get the best equipment you can in regards to rest, sand bags, and scope. Utilize wind flags, a set of streamers made from surveyors tape set at 25 year intervals will make wonders. now get the gun, and set up, and spend as much time as you can behind the trigger, these is where great shooters are made, it don’t have to be an equipment race, get to know your gun.

Here is the biggest piece of advice I can give you one accuracy improvement. If you are not loading your own ammo, you might as well throw it all away. AMMO is the BIGGEST way to improve a guns accuracy. Learn how to prep brass. (Weight sort, debur flasholes, uniform primer pockets. ETC) experiment with seating depth, powder charges, and bullets. Not to brag, but I have taken Savage's right out of the box, and shot 1/2 MOA or better groups all the way out to 1000 yards, and have done it several times to several rifles, with nothing changed. The true secrete is in ammo.