With some of the "older" action, "J" being the one in mind, (I'am thinking early to mid 80s)if you can find one (or even 2 ) for sale at a good price, jump on it.
Only difference in parts would be the length of the bolt body. They're available. The alignment nub in the bolt body for the bolt head? Grind it off and any bolt head will work.
As far as stocks, all that needs to be done to fit the action to a short action stock is move the front screw hole about 1/4" and you're good to go. I'am thinking wood stocks. Never tried a composit stock but my guess is that wouldn't be much of a problem either.
My first Savage was (is) a "J" 110 V in .223. Since then it's been just about every caliber I own. Scope bases are kinds tough to come by if you're picky about the base design. Had a "custom" Leupold "one piece" made up from pieces. Cut and welded to fit with rear windage adjustment. It's made for the action and came out looking 100% cool.
Rifle Basix trigger, custom chambered barrel, stock of your choice and you're set. 8) I've got 16s and 12s with the Accu Trigger but my favorite is my "J" in 6.8 BR.
That's the action that got me hooked on Savage. ;D