Ok so I started the steel jacket thing (I never said steel core!). Didn't say anything about them causing damage to targets or anything (BTW - most ranges don't like steel because of fire risk caused by sparks - not because of penetration or target damage).

Even though the S&B bullets are "soft points" the steel jacket just won't open up like the softer copper-alloy jacketed bullets and tends to shred and loose the core very easily.

And yes game has been killed with cast bullets. Have done it a LOT myself. Penetration and caliber are the important things there (got to let air in and blood out) and the 7.62x39 has neither. Cast bullets for deer in a 44 mag or 45-70 - sure, great choice.

Of course lots of game animals have been killed with FMJs too and we all (almost) would agree that those aren't a good choice (unless you are going for brain shots on elephants with your 7x57).

Good old 150 grain softpoints designed for the 30-30 will work great for deer in the 7.62x39. Won't get 30-30 velocity but still good enough for whitetails at open sight ranges.