Quote Originally Posted by savagepresto
Thank you for the replies, I think that I will fetch some new primers before I continue.

Outlawkyote, great conservative approach on my combo, I got my info from Barnes and did everything accordingly except use the Magnum primer. Like many, I have read many different theories about the use of mag primers...that it is just quality control, only necessary for cold weather, etc. Well this is my first magnum and I did not have any mag primers on hand. Should I be loading with the mag primers only? And how did you learn not to use a fast burning powder, in a small amount, with a standard primer? Thank you for your experience, you reply often to my questions.

♦ Indicates most accurate load
Bullet Weight: 130 gr Case Trim Length: 2.610" S.D. 0.196
Bullet Style: TSX BT Primer: Federal GM215M B.C. 0.340
COAL: 3.340" Barrel Length: 24"
Case: Winchester Twist Rate: 1:10"
Powder Charge Velocity Charge Velocity Load
Brand (grains) (fps) (grains) (fps) Density (%)
♦ AA 2700 71.0 3238 78.0 3485 89
H414 65 0 3193 76 0 3509 87
Ive had some very good guidance from my friends at Western Powders. Ive more or less wired all the buildings at Western Powders and worked for almost every employee that works there plus I was neighbors with their load tech and picked his brain every moment I had, I bought that man a lot of brewski's while I lived next door to him.
Ive used H414 in my 2506 with great success (small bullets only) but was advised by the loading tech (Don Hartman) that I should be using "magnum" primers with a large case and small bullet combo like I was doing due to the risk of "detination" whic is when powder can actually spike very badly and actually tear a rifle to bits.
I wasnt sure what your problem was but, when I saw the "big case fast powder combo" listed it just raised some red flags for me. I have not personally tried H414 in my 300wm so I wasnt sure what kind of load you were putting together but only that something wasnt right and it needed looking into.

Magnum primers are not just primers with a better quality controle process. Magnum primers burn a lot hotter than standard primers allowing the larger quantity of powders (seen in magnum cases) to burn more effectivly. I highly recomend magnum primers in magnum cases.