Quote Originally Posted by brtelec
On exactly what are you basing your statement that a .243 is not a good choice for an accurate rifle? Quality components, proper assembly and well researched and carefully assembled handloads make accurate rifles, not the caliber. I would be willing to bet that I could find quite a few people that would argue that the .243 is a very accurate round. Any caliber round has the potential to be more accurate than the people behind them, as long as the rifle and the load are of good quality.
Yes you can make an accurate rifle in just about every caliber, but for it to be the most accurate and the most inherently accurate are two different things. What I say is the difference is that if you have to do everything perfect to get a good group you have an accurate rifle, but if you can mess up a detail here or there and still have accuracy it is inherently accurate. I have a couple of "favorite rifles" that will shoot <moa with everything, not just the tuned load. Everybody here will agree that some calibers are more inherently accurate than others, thats why certain calibers are more dominant in benchrest. The 222 rem is the first example of this, it will pick up the mistakes and hide them and that is why the 223 just isn&#39;t as accurate a case as the 222. It is just how it is. There are 243 rifles that are very accurate. I have a friend who shoots one in 1000 yard competition. But if I was to bet on a rifle being accurate I would go with a 6mm rem over a 243. That is my personal experience and what I judge my statement on. I have had better accuracy potential out of the 6mm rem case, whether it is the longer neck, or the shoulder angle I don&#39;t know but it just seems to be more forgiving. Even the 6.5x284 is a bit of a gamble it can get touchy in load developement.