Congratulations on your rifle. If your wife is happy, you will be happy as well.

Here's the link to 243shooter's offer of .040"spring wire. He is legit.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,25681.0.html

You can search the web on ways to lighten up your trigger. I would not file any engagement surfaces because they are surface hardened and if you cut through the hardened part, you will end up with fast-wearing softer steel.

Polish anything that rubs, use just a bit of Moly powder, Moly grease or anti-seize (graphite grease) on the sear itself.

Initially, before I did anything, and after making sure my rifle was unloaded and totally safe, I worked the engagement surfaces by cocking and dry firing about a hundred times.

Here's a summary of what I did to my Stevens 200 to improve the trigger.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg294803

With respect to backing out the trigger spring adjustment screw, I backed it out a lot, but one must make sure that there is some (enough) tension on the spring to maintain tension so that the trigger sear resets completely. After any sear adjustment, make sure the safety fully works. I had to readjust my safety adjustment screw about a quarter of a turn to ensure proper functioning of the safety. I beat my rifle in every direction, hit it hard with a rubber mallet, slammed the bolt home hard both with and without the safety on. I am fully confident that my rifle is safe for the field.

I also spent some time polishing a lot of the bolt surfaces that rub.

I am working on the bolt lift issue right now. I've tried the .38 brass and ball bearing, and will try the thrust bearing and spacer next. What I think would really help would be a cocking pin with all the engagement surfaces on ball bearings. Not sure if that is possible.

I, too like to tinker and improve things for little cost (but often, lots of time!). It's fun and if you know your limits, and follow appropriate safety procedures, safe.

I hope my posts are helpful. YMMV.
My advice is free and hopefully, worth every penny :)