Must have missed this post or I would have put in my 2 cents earlier.

Personally I think that there are a lot of variables to the question, so lets cut some of them out. Let's assume that you are using factory ammo (cutting out the variable of rifle performance with handloads, because handloads are only as good as the care taken by the person loading) and let's assume that the gun is properly cared for as far as cleaning and not overly abused and in good orignal mechanical shape.

Under those assumptions, I see no reason not to use a Savage when the cartridge there chambered is appropriate for the game hunted of course. I would say that if I were using a 458WM with a CRF Bolthead (for example) and it was performing nicely in the accuracy department, then I would think 200+ rounds of reliable feeding and extracting would be a good idicator for me to trust it.

I specify the CRF Head because we are taking Dangerous game. The push-feed bolt heads have given me great service, but some magazine-cartridge combo's have given me issues in the past when using a push-feed head. For hunting deer and other game that won't squash me, those few issues have been minor enough not to be concerned with. A good example is a Model 10 in 243win with a SF magazine that I used to own. Was an accurate gun, but if you tried to feed from the mag in a horizontal postition it would eject the spent round and push the fresh one sideways.making bipod and bench shooting a problem. If the muzzle was pointed upwards at roughly 20 to 45 degrees then it fed perfectly which was ok for off hand shooting as I tend to dismount when cycling the bolt in the off hand postition.

To your original question, I would feel much better having a guide or hunting partner standing next to me with a good double chambered in something like 458, 500NE, etc. if I were carrying any brand bolt gun when going after deadly game. My chances of going on such a hunt are very remote, but I have my 458 just in case .