There is nothing wrong with a Savage action for a build. The nice thing is you can build your rifle to your liking w/o having to pay a smith to do it for you. Now what sets rifles apart for me is the function/purpose of a rifle. If it is for a bench or square range, I think any quality factory action is more than fine. If you then step up to doing competitions in harsh environments, you will find that some actions work better than other and are purpose built (that includes expensive actions). Grit/grime of the real world environments can really show the function of an action. Then you get to "has to work" battle rifles where your and your team/buddies lives depend on your weapon working 100% of the time in any environment/conditions. This is limited to a very few purpose built rifles (AIAE/AIAW among the few).. some which are actually less than custom bench guns. So it really depeneds on the amount of dough in your pocket and the purpose of your rifle. I have two built up Stevens 200 actions that I did (.308 & .260) that shoot half moa if I do my part or better. A buddy of mine has a custom .308 based on a Rem 700 action that costs three times as much as mine and can maybe shoot a tad bit better...but not $2000 worth better.