Quote Originally Posted by Ackley Improved
Quote Originally Posted by rv7pilot
I'm building a 6.5 x284 custom tactical rifle. McGowen barrel, Choate tactical stock, Nightforce 5.5x22x50 NXS.
Got to admit, seems a bit odd (and I like Savages). You have a $180 stock, and a cheap barrel, coupled with an $1800 scope. I think I would downgrade the glass, upgrade the barrel and stock...
the stock is 100% personal choice. As has been said if bedded properly there is no real difference in how the gun will shoot. Now how you hold the stock is a different matter altogether.
The barrel. Nothing wrong with McGowen barrels either. Saying you have to spend twice the money to get a good barrel is the same as saying Savage actions are not as good as Remington just because Remington cost more.
The glass. Now i am not a Nightforce fan but i have discovered that the better the glass on your rifle the better your rifle will shoot all other things being equal. just try to shoot a good group with a $@@@y scope and then with a great scope.
the caliber. Would not be my choice either but again goes back to personal preference. The smallest group i have ever seen shot at 1000yds was a 5 shot group a few thousants under 1 1/2 inches. it was done with a 6.5-284win.

I think you have a winner planed out but will be up to you to find a load that will make it stand out and pratice on your part to complete the package.

Gary