Quote Originally Posted by jim36
Steve I thought about that
,so I pulled the bullets from some factory loads and the same thing took place. I also adjusted the pin out to .055 and got the same results. Still get light primer strikes. I've cleaned it throughly and checked it at least a dozen times. I took the firing pin out of a 3006 rifle, put it in place of the problem pin and got the same results. Even tried two more complete bolts, but headspace would not match so I'm back to square one. It seems to be the same with different pin protrusion adjustments. I appreciate your concern. This is not the first time I've done something stupid. ;D By the way I did put the original spring back in place.
Jim
Light primer strikes are or can be caused by a few things, but 9 times out of ten something is padding the pin fall. A firing pin spring does not instantly accelerate the pin to some velocity, it ramps up. Anything that interferes with it will reduce primer impact energy, that old pesky Energy-weight-velocity thing.

Excessive protrusion can also cause problems. Since you'll never indent a pirmer more than about .020" a longer static ( bench setup) protrusion can lower impact pressures, the pin is stopped short during it ramp up, it in effect shortens the pin fall length. Its why some of us recommend a shorter protrusion in the .030"-.040 range, +/- .020" for the indent depth and .010"-.020" for the brass head clearance ( bump), primer seating depth and etc.

Padding the fall can be caused by the bolt internals, the sear not being cleanly released, its contacting the stock, the trigger over travel too tight and etc. The sear contacting the stock is somewhat common. A simple test, fire a few primed cases ( no powder-bullet!) with the action out of the stock. If they ignite reliably the sear is making contact in the stock somewhere. If they fail to ignite check the sear operation, trigger adjustment and the bolt internals to be sure the firing pin isn't binding. Since you've tried two bolts I'd discount a bolt problem to some degree.

Where to start? I'd try some primed brass with the action out of the stock then go from there.

Bill