:)

Thanks folks for the advice… Have contacted a guide and am signed up for a New Mexico drawing. I have to admit my chances are low for this draw according to the odds posted. I am working on an alternative plan for Montana because I have friends and relatives there. My finances are secure, so now I just have to wait and see what is in store for my once in a lifetime hunt.

For the past month I have been walking at least 4 miles 3 times a week and hope to bump that up to 5 miles. Actually I have lost about 10 pounds which is good.

I have a new 325 wsm stainless for this hunt. I am ordering a new laminated stock and will have a bushnell 3200 bdo 4X 12 mounted. I know that the laminated stock will be heavier, I have one on my 270 wsm and love laminated stocks. A lot of folks are not so keen on laminated stocks and the weight is a big issue with them, but I am thinking this weight might be good and help reduce recoil. I finish my own and use automotive clear coat which actually puts a pretty hard finish on the wood.

The choices for 325(8mm) bullets are not that abundant. I got his gun for a fantastic price and that might be one of the reasons why. I am looking at a 200 grain nolser spitzer or 200 nolser accubonds. I have had recommendations for sierra game king 220 grains and a 200 grain barnes tsx. Once rifle is completed by late spring, I will take a month or two to pick a bullet. That might be the most expensive thing to do.

The guide that I have talked to has suggested a very good pair(2) of hiking boots. So I actually have ordered one pair and will try them out. If I like them, I will get a second pair to break in as well. He was telling me the temps for October where he hunts are generally in the upper 20’s to low 30’s in the morning and could be as high as upper 40’s to low 50’s in the afternoon. Since we will be walking several miles a day, I am trying out good wool socks and boots with no insulation. My feet usually get really hot and once they sweat, it’s over as far as them staying warm. He told me via an email that he packs a pair of gaiters in case of snow. I have to admit I had to look up what these were, I had no clue.

This type of hunting I will be doing is all new to me so I am trying to dig out as much info as I can. I do know that I have got to have a good hunting pack. They have a few on sale here at bass pro and a couple of packs have caught my eye. To be honest, I am so tired of reading reviews that I am just going to grab one and be done. I will try to accumulate other things such as pants and shirts over the summer.

Folks, I have never done this before and if you have any suggestions, please let me know. There might be others out there who could use the info as well..

Thanks and God bless….

….