In searching the internet for Savage Axis/Edge ejection issues, I stumbled across this thread and thought I would reply to it.

I purchased one of the Savage Axis rifles in .223 in January at Cabela's Dundee, MI, store. I only shot it a few times on the range and had noticed an ejection issue on one occasion. It basically did as you described, and just laid the spent case on top of the magazine rather than flinging it out. I didn't give it much thought at the time and thought perhaps it was due to me not yanking the bolt back hard enough.

This past week, I got to use it extensively during a competition and it cost me dearly. On 3 separate occasions last week I had this very same thing happen, where it would extract the spent brass to a certain point, then drop it inside the receiver resulting in a jam when the bolt was thrust forward. Needless to say, it cost me a competition and I am interested to find if this is a common issue or if it's a fluke with the .223 chambering.

So far, I've only been using the Black Hills match loads with the BH Match brass in the red box, and the Black Hills blue box load with the Lake City brass. The gun shoots great, and I have no other complaints besides the heavy trigger and now this extraction/jam issue. Thank you for posting up about this as I now know I'm not the only one.