I called Savage customer service this morning and the guy I was talking to didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I asked if I could speak with a gunsmith to find out what they are at to be in factory spec's. He said that was not possible and I could sent the rifle and they would check to see it it was in factory spec's. I assume it is as it is brand new and just came out of the factory. I know there has to be some sort of explanation for them being so long throated but you are not going to get that information from Savage. I guess I will just sent it to a gunsmith and have him re cut the chamber with a reamer that was made for 65gr-80gr bullets. I can't see sending it back to Savage and pay the shipping and wait a month to get it back just so they can tell me the rifle is in spec's. By that amount out time and a little more money I can send it to the gunsmith have it re-chambered and know it is right. Everybody I talk to say they are all chambered that way for safety reasons. In case some one jamms a max loaded 107gr into a 1 in 12 twist rifle there might be a pressure spike. I am not sure I by this explanation but it might be right. WHO KNOWS!!! What the reason is.