Thanks guys, I've been told by one guy who knows a lot about old Savages that it would have been made in the first year of production, around 1917.
I've never seen another like it.
I've seen similar with much higher serial numbers that have flat metal bolt handles, not round like this one and some other changes.
I don't think I'll ever part with this one.
The pics the dealer put up were only so so and he said it didn't have a serial #, but he just didn't know where to look.
Once I got it home and really looked it over, I was amazed at the deal I got. I can even see a 1/2" bullseye clearly at 50 yards through the old 4X scope. The retical was made using spider hair, fantastic!
It's the fantastic machine work that really impresses me. The gun is made from one solid piece of metal. Those guys had to bore out the top for the bolt, then go in about 5 1/2"and cut the to extractor cuts and bore and chamber the barrel, they sure were real craftsman in those days. That is one of the things that makes it so very special to me. This rifle was so well taken care of, all I can say is it must have come from an estate sale and belonged to someone who knew how to take good care of their rifles.
I had a good week, I also got a NIB, never fired H&R 5200, all paperwork and everything for $250.00 also. Not the best target rifle in the world, but re crown the barrel, lap the barrel and bed the action and they will sometimes soot just about or even if your lucky as good as the Winchester Model 52 that they are a cheaper copy of. They only made them for about 4 years in the 1980's.
I'd leave it stock, but no real collectors value to them. I had a good week, too many weeks like this and I'd be flat broke ;D

My Best, John K