This a quick list of my rules I follow.
I electrical tape everything on the action that doesn't get bedded. This keeps it out of holes and slots for the trigger.

I electrical tape the action where it sticks out of stock for easy cleanup.

I use long screws with the heads cut off, and grease the threads the whole way. This keep the screw holes inline and hold the hole for the real action screws. I push the screws down through the bedding, then make sure they turn free every hour or so while it sets up. Then unscrew them from the bottom before popping it out.

I use very minimal release agent but make sure it is everywhere. If you use too much release agent you will create a void and it won't be a tight bed job. I use kiwi shoe polish. Never had a problem, put it on heavy and wipe it all off, just like polishing your shoes.

Masking tape the entire stock, from the edge where the channel begins all the way around and end to end.

Fill all areas of the stock with modeling clay (non-hardening) that aren't going to be bedded.

Patience is the most important thing, make sure the bedding can't seep over or into anything and hold the action.

On savages I float the nut and barrel so I can change the barrel and not mess with the bedding. This has always worked for me but some worry about the recoil lug moving when changing the barrel.

If I was you I would practice on the old stock first so you can get the feel for it. My first one was a bit messy.

These are just my tricks there is more to it, watch videos and read as much as you can. You will come up with your own ways that work for you. This is my favorite part about getting a new rifle, another bedding job.