Quote Originally Posted by BradB
It sounds more like you feel as if you been "wronged" by the .308 at sometime in your life. ;D Every cartridge can be "trumped" by several others in some way, shape or form. It just depends what your personal prorities are. I don't shoot a .308 but I'd feel darn foolish to tell anyone it was a poor cartridge. As far as being anemic as a hunting round, that again goes back to your personal tastes. If you think you can't kill anything effectively with anything less than a 378 weatherby then yes, the .308 is anemic.
i agree. im sensing alot of anger toward this cartridge, which seems unwarrented. the .308 is an excellent round and i have scored several of my farthest kills with one of mine. yes, there may be 'better' rounds out there, but who is to say that all the qualities of 'better' rounds are actually better? just think, out of my 18-inch bolt guns, i get 2650fps with a 168grn match bullet, which has been the bane of many a beast. (yes, i use match bullets for hunting. say what you will, but im a politically incorrect trophy hunter who likes to shoot small things a long way off and proud of it. find me at longrangehunting.com username Josh Wayner). it is part of the game to hit precisly, and to do that you need to know your rifle, no matter what caliber. without practice, your 6.5 supercartridge is nothing better than a rock in a sock.
rifles chambered for this round can fire all sorts of ammo in emergency situations, from military FMJs to softpoints; the 308 is extremely common. it is advantageous to use a round for which there is lots of knowledge already.