There is no rifle better than a properly set up savage for long range shooting. You can spend really big bucks on a custom made action, and it's just a waste of money. It's precision machining of the action, mated with a top quality barrel fitted perfectly to the right stock. It's still not cheap, but cost far less to have a winning Savage rifle built than a full custom. Savage rifles simply are the best.
AGREE

I have a $4k plus custom built MPI 308 rifle. Do a search on MPI rifles and you will find their website! Don't get me wrong, it's a fine rifle!

I have a FCP Savage 308, I bedded the stock, tweaked the trigger!

It's a toss up as to which one I will bring to a 600 yard shoot! I have shot better scores with my Savage 308 with factory ammo (because I recieved late notice and didn't have time to get 80 rounds ready) than most shooter who came out their with their custom builds and handloaded ammo!

Believe me when I say people come down to me and want to know what I am shooting! Most walk away scratching their head!

Savage gunsmiths are some of the best and are not bad on their prices! I will and have called them several times. Best people around to deal with considering you can't get NOBODY else from other manufactures to even answer!