Quote Originally Posted by boweevil
Went to the range with the reseated bullets. Tried three and all three split.
I had also freshly loaded twenty rounds, same leftover brass as the problem brass, same componets etc; shot all twenty and had two to split slightly.
My conclusion is (possibly in error) that this brass was not annealed sufficiently during manufacture. As long as I was actively reloading it, over a short period of time, it functioned perfectly (I would normally chunk the brass after five reloads). After aging 17 years the brass became brittle, the loaded cartridges with the bullets in place were under strain in the neck and deteriorated more (100% failures) than the empty brass (two out of twenty failed).
The deteriorating powder could be a percentage of the problem but since I also had the two splits in the 20 freshly loaded rounds I don't think that it is the primary problem.
Didn't think of it before I went to the range but I have some leftovers loaded in Lake City match brass and also some Lake City White Box match factory loads. I'll try them next trip and see if they also have this splitting problem.
My sneaking suspicion is the annealing....I think you're on to something there!

Wayne