Thread: Pillar Issues Savage 12BVSS Stock Crack

Team Savage

Pillar Issues Savage 12BVSS Stock Crack

Back from back surgery and I started working on my 12BVSS .22-250 conversion to 6MM BR Norma. I wont get into details of the ATLAS Cheek Riser install here Ill leave that to my build page. But while I was doing layout for inletting.... [IMG][/IMG]

I discovered stock lamination separation near the rear pillar. It was a shear luck I saw it as its small:
    [IMG][/IMG]

None the less I am glad I found it. Now I can inject some West Marine Marine Rot Repair Penetrating Epoxy into it and it will flow in; then bond and fill the crack. Note: I have used West Marine Epoxy products for a very long time on everything as they work. I had considered bedding the action with West Marine 105 epoxy/hardener with a Filler added, however, I have some other bedding product that needs used so Ill use that. Check them out.

I bought a used VLP stock a few years ago that was cracked like that as well. From the rear pillar to the mag well. I feel it was from someone over tightening the action screws on the stock with pressed in pillars that were slightly lower than the action inletting.
    I actually took mine to my gunsmith, and in addition to basically gluing the stock back together, he milled a couple slots across the split area about an inch wide and the depth of the mag well, and filled the slots with bedding material when he bedded the action to help strengthen that area. Also had real pillars installed as well. He sent me numerous pics along the way to show what he did. He did great work. Sadly he is now retired.

Team Savage
    Ill do the same. But with no mill Ill use a Oscillating tool with a narrow blade and cut in three slots about a 1/2 inch and horizontal to the crack. . I suppose a guy could use a cutting blade on a Dremel also . Then Ill inject with syringe some penetrating epoxy. Stand it up on the stock but and let the epoxy cure. Ill post pictures on here when I do the process. I might even add a small wood biscuit soaked in epoxy. On the top of the crack Ill put some tape to dam the epoxy in the actual crack while its sitting on the stock butt.

Later when I bed it Ill add a layer of bedding epoxy over the area. Won't hurt as the Savage is now a single shot and the mag is removed.

Its sure is a great hobby building a new rifle or fixing up a vintage one.

Yes it is. It’s fun and a challenge at the same time…lol

The wood biscuit is a good idea also. If I remember correctly my smith actually put some metal rods in mine before bedding it, then clamped the stock to squeeze the crack back together.

Team Savage
    While I am in discussion with you pdog. If what you said is true about overnighting the action fasteners and driving the fastener into the wood or laminate causing separation of the laminate. Its a good reason at this time to note now the importance of adding escutcheon's to the those fasteners. The problem is locating those that are more like a washer instead of pressed in straight types. Especially on composite stocks with an inlet area for box magazines. Which there is very little supporting wood on the rear action pillars.

I would love to find these: or if the action fastners were a 1/2 diameter I could use toilet water supply line types...Hahaha

That was my thought about what happened to the stock I had. Just because while looking at it I noticed the pillars were a little lower than the bedding area. Maybe or maybe not. No way to prove that’s what did it. Coulda also been a laminate failure during production and coulda just split when the pillars were pressed in? Like yours it wasn’t very noticeable and I’m not sure the guy I bought it from even knew it? Either way it was a much stronger and better stock after the repair.

Does it look like your pillars are bedded in are pressed in?

A cross bolt would be another option to reinforce that area of the stock. Not something you find on many gun stocks made today since so few guns come from the factory with solid wood stocks, but back when walnut stocks were the norm crossbolts were extremely common - especially on rifles chambered for harder recoiling cartridges. Usually installed in pairs, the front one should be right up behind the recoil lug slot where most of the energy is transferred to the stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006525770?pid=752327
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    A cross bolt would be another option to reinforce that area of the stock. Not something you find on many gun stocks made today since so few guns come from the factory with solid wood stocks, but back when walnut stocks were the norm crossbolts were extremely common - especially on rifles chambered for harder recoiling cartridges. Usually installed in pairs, the front one should be right up behind the recoil lug slot where most of the energy is transferred to the stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006525770?pid=752327
    Great idea but on the 12BVSS laminate stock I don't believe there would be enough wood for a cross bolt. To me its a design flaw. Epoxy will do the job, and if a person doesn't believe epoxy alone is not enough he could epoxy/glass the area.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    That was my thought about what happened to the stock I had. Just because while looking at it I noticed the pillars were a little lower than the bedding area. Maybe or maybe not. No way to prove that’s what did it. Coulda also been a laminate failure during production and coulda just split when the pillars were pressed in? Like yours it wasn’t very noticeable and I’m not sure the guy I bought it from even knew it? Either way it was a much stronger and better stock after the repair.

Does it look like your pillars are bedded in are pressed in?
    Pressed in, mine separated due to wood failure, (you can see the saw tooth edges in the photo) It was brought on by excessive pressures transferred to joint the install. Or it is possible it was dropped sometime in its 20 year life.

Trust me this rifle wasn't tuned in my truck bumper ball joint hole like I do with my shotguns...hahaha