Thread: XLR Element 4.0

XLR Element 4.0

My Element 4.0 came in the other day. Took a little under 4 months. Well made chassis. Mine came w/ the Ergo grip and TR-2 stock. Definitely like the AICS mag vs. the stock Savage mag. The 110 Ultralite dropped right in. Did have to adjust the bolt release mechanism that came w/ chassis. Not a big deal and the chassis design was modular enough to make it a fairly simple modification. The TR-2 stock has lots of adjustment. Didn't get the side folding stock adapter, just didn't see a use for my application.

Looking forward to working up a load. This is my first experience w/ a chassis. The only thing that is a bit disappointing is accessibility to the thumb safety, which would be no different than a thumbhole. No way one can reach the safety w/o taking hand off the grip, unless the offhand is used, which means it is not stabilizing the forend. Not the best for hunting scenarios.

About the only advantage I can see to a side folder is the ability to use a bore guide and clean without dropping the cheek rest. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Any pics? I just ordered one about 3/4 weeks ago so the waiting game begins. Did you get aluminum or magnesium? What did you have to do with bottom bolt release?

Aluminum chassis. When you receive the chassis, you'll see the bolt release lever in a slotted channel on the right side of the trigger guard. Simple effective design that is nothing more than an small aluminum block, socket head, and springs. To remove the bolt, do what you normally do, slide the socket head/aluminum block back, which engages the bolt release arm on the receiver.

In my case the aluminum block was a tad long and engaged the release arm at static rest. Noticed this when working the bolt (empty chamber of course) and some of the time the bolt would not remain cocked on the down stroke. Before people freak out, it did nothing more than what happens when you depress the trigger with safety off and close the bolt. I sometimes do this when storing an unloaded firearm for long period of time or when transporting.

After a bit of troubleshooting, noticed the aluminum block was engaging the release arm at static rest. The entire trigger guard, which houses the bolt release, comes off with one socket head. Once it's off the entire bolt release mechanism is easily accessible. I adjusted the aluminum block just a tad and problem solved.

Appreciate it. How do you like it?