Thread: Trying the RMR 69's

Basic Member

Trying the RMR 69's

Just received a package of 500 RMR 69's in the mail today so I weight 50 of them and the weights went from 68.9 to 69.1 grains.

I quickly loaded up 5 rounds using my brew for the SMK69's and fired them off at 50 yards on my home range.

IMPRESSIVE!

No changes to scope settings from the SMK loads I have had such success with and these were very close to them. 1st shot was bullseye, the next 4 were on a guided wire, with the MOA being .324 of an inch.

Rain started, so I stopped for today and loaded 50 to shoot tomorrow. Anxious to see how these shoot. at the next stage which is 100 yards.

500 rounds to my door was $84.00. That's about 17 cents a round or dime cheaper than SMK69's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rmr1.jpg  

Basic Member
    The RMR 69s are a real bargain.

I've tried them and they are almost as accurate as the 69 SMKs. Given the cost difference, they are well worth trying.
    At 100 yards, my 5-round group averages using my 12 FV with both SMK and RMR 69 gr bullets are pretty close.
    RMR 69s averaged 0.300 with three different powders for 35 groups. They shot best with Varget, 0.286 for 8 groups. The other two averages were .309 and .324.
    SMK 69s averaged 0.279 with four different powders for 202 groups. They shot best with Varget, 0.249 for 44 groups. N540 averaged 0.251 for 41 groups. The other two averages were 0.286 and 0.291.

The RMRs are a great bargain, but I am an accuracy nut and am still partial to the 69 SMKs, especially with those two powders.

Basic Member
    This is today's post I just put on accurateshooter.com. I haven't even tried to mess with powder loads or seating as of yet, I just wanted to try a head to head test using the SMK69 load that's worked well for me. As much as I shoot, being retired and with shooting costs skyrocketing, I thought I'd give them a try. Now I'm going to start playing with changes to find that sweet spot I know exists.

I just got thru shooting at 100 yards with the Varget 24.5 load and with a few minor adjustments to the scope, I'm very pleased. Absolute worst 5 shot grouping was 1.89 then started tweaking scope and things tightened right up. Groups were .then a .99, .89, .84, 67, .66, and last was the best was a .39.

I'm very pleased with these initial results. Granted it's only at 100 yards, but finding longer distances are a real challenge down here in the mountains of Arkansas.

Basic Member
    When I purchased my first centerfire rifle, Savage Model 10 223, I first tried some Hornady 55gr and the 68gr becase at that time I could get them at my local BPS. I then bought my first 500 of the RMR and quickly found the same results that you found. After playing with that bullet I was able to find very fine loads with TAC, Benchmark and A2460 powders.

Those loads shot so well that I actually ended up using that in a 10 week long local informal bench league. That season for my first attempt of 20 shooters I finished 15th against guys that had been shooting this league for years. Was very pleased with my finish.

For the money they are outstanding in performance and value. I wish they also made a 6mm bullet!

Basic Member
    I hope they work for you. They are basically a FMJ to me. The lot I have will not shoot in anything I have. I think part of the problem is the hard sharp edge that is on each bullet at the top edge where the boat tail meets the full bearing surface. And the ogive is all over the place. I am getting 0.003" variance in seating depth. There are ALWAYS flyers in every group. Not like a 1/4" or so, but sometimes inches!

Basic Member
    Spent the last 3 days testing the RMR's with various powders and loads. Looking for consistency. Best results are 24gr of Varget and col of 2.25. regularly shoots 1MOA or less. Best today was .334 MOA with most between .75 and .65.

To say I'm thrilled is an understatement. Savages get vicious remarks in many gun forums as junk and not accurate. Granted,this is only 100 yards, but my Axis II Precision has proven itself as a damn Accurate and Precise shooter. Run well over 200 rounds with Varget/RMR and any fliers are not the gun. Being an AR guy, they eat anything and are quite accurate no matter what I throw in them. Now I'm paying far more attention to details in case prep and accurate powder loads. Next purchase is a micrometer die for my press. Better shooting bags arrive Monday.

For me having no more than $1500 invested in the entire rifle/scope, Savage builds a damn good bolt gun. I am truly stunned.

I've been swallowed by the rabbit hole....

Basic Member
    LOL Congratulations. I will say that many of the cast bullet folks really like the Savages and accept that they have 'driven' the competition to get better.

My current obsession started with a lowly Axis with a heavy barrel that I found in a Walmart on a trip to NC. Took me a while to buy good ammo, and then make good ammo, and then learn how to shoot better, etc, etc. But, the box stock rifle with the included cheap scope I ended up get most groups under 1inch. When I upgraded the stock, got a slightly better scope and tuned my loads, and tuned my shooting technique it became a 0.5MOA rifle. Not bad for less than $800 total.

And down the rabbit hole I went.