Thread: Stockys Carbon Fiber Stock?

Stockys Carbon Fiber Stock?

Has anyone run this stock yet? I just received mine and my barrel shipped today. The current rifle is a 110FP blind mag with top safety release.

Apparently according to Stockys I need to buy Savage Ultralite bottom metal and mag to use with the stockys stock.

Has anyone worked with this stock yet or a similar conversion?

Thanks
    Harley

Let me know how it turns out. I have been thinking about doing the same thing with an old Long action flat back. I just need a source for the bottom metal. Any leads would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss50 View Post
    Has anyone run this stock yet? I just received mine and my barrel shipped today. The current rifle is a 110FP blind mag with top safety release.

Apparently according to Stockys I need to buy Savage Ultralite bottom metal and mag to use with the stockys stock.

Has anyone worked with this stock yet or a similar conversion?

Thanks
    Harley

The ultra-lite bottom metal is the plastic unit used on a lot of specialty models (Lady Hunter, Lightweight Hunter, etc.) and can be purchased through Tactical Works (assuming this is a short-action).

https://www.tacticalworks.com/savage...metal-oem.html

This bottom metal option accepts the Axis-style magazines with the retention clip built into the bottom plate of the magazine.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/savage-a...-magazine.html

In looking for a mag to order, you may see stock photo's on vendor sites of the old-style of retention clip that is just curved plastic rather than the spring-loaded slide button on the example above. The old style hasn't been made for a couple of years now so even if the pic shows the old-style you should expect to receive the newer version which is a vast improvement over the old ones.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I am still trying to figure this out.

According to savage my vintage blind mag stagger feed 110 long action cannot be converted to work with new Ultralite DBM.

So the stockys stock won't work, and they don't inlet for blind mag. They said I can return it for a restock fee which sucks because it doesn't say that it won't work, or only works with certain models.

The holes for the action line up and the main thing that I see doesn't fit is the top bolt release area, but it appears that the stock could be opened up to fit.

But if I do that and buy the bottom metal items from savage and it doesn't work, I am SOL on about $600.

Bell and Carlson had a stock that will work, but it is over 1lb heavier which sucks.

I am torn. I *think* I can make it work, but if I can't it will be an expensive mistake.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss50 View Post
    I am still trying to figure this out.

According to savage my vintage blind mag stagger feed 110 long action cannot be converted to work with new Ultralite DBM.

So the stockys stock won't work, and they don't inlet for blind mag. They said I can return it for a restock fee which sucks because it doesn't say that it won't work, or only works with certain models.

The holes for the action line up and the main thing that I see doesn't fit is the top bolt release area, but it appears that the stock could be opened up to fit.

But if I do that and buy the bottom metal items from savage and it doesn't work, I am SOL on about $600.

Bell and Carlson had a stock that will work, but it is over 1lb heavier which sucks.

I am torn. I *think* I can make it work, but if I can't it will be an expensive mistake.
    I can offer this before you make anymore decisions. Convert to a single shot. Its an easy process as the mag pops out with a screw driver inserted between the mag and action and then pry the mag out of the slot on either end. I would recommend this single shot follower called the "Fred Sled" from Sharp Shooter Supply. It mounts easy and is flush. Cost is nominal.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/LoadingRamps.html

Easiest way to contact them is send an email to Lisa or Fred. They are busy folks but kind as heck...so give them a few days to answer!

sshooter@wcoil.com

Lastly I have always hated ejectors on single shots because its a pain to find spent rounds. So I always remove the ejector. After its gone from the bolt you just slide the bolt back and there is your spent round. Pick the spent round off the follower and put it in your pocket or round box!

Good Luck to you Hoss.... Larry!

Thanks Larry. This will need to be a repeater though. It is designed around the idea of being my short run hunting rifle for elk and black bear.