Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
"Good" rifles is relative. If your shoots really well then I'd just consider a good barrel. Yes, it can be as much as a new rifle with a stock barrel, but, it will shoot much better. I'd not trade unless the new gun has a premium barrel.

For now just learn to shoot better. Use quality bullets and concentrate on loading technique. Then, consider a new barrel in a chambering of choice. If I were doing competition at longer range I'd be tempted by the 7mm's, like the .284 or PRC (would take some research and advice from Fuj and others).

Thank you Charlie. Much appreciated. Am weighing all my options as you and others are suggesting.

As for the 7mm's............I've been on the hunting side of this for a VERY long time. Too many rifles / cartridges to count. Have always been a 277 / 284 fan for all the advantages you already know. I LOVE my .270 Weatherby. Recoil with that rifle and my '06 and Whelen - never a problem. Same with the 7mm's. So...NOT discounting your recommendations.

That said...one VERY important lesson I learned in VA was to follow thru after the shot and visually see my POI. I know I can do that with a .243. Confident I could do that with a 6.5 Creed. Not sure I can do that with a bigger bore??????? Maybe I can? Remember...I'm new to the LR game.

Cheers.