Mr Hornet,
Yes! You said everything I have. The big issue is the magazine. It will not accept my loads with 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. When I wrote Savage, I got the answer that they build their rifles to SAAMI Specs and I should only use factory ammo in it. I have found the Hornet loaded with 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, to be highly effective, with all one shot kills. But as the 40 gr will not fit. I loaded with Hornady 35gr V Max. The first coyote was knocked down flat....for about 2 secs, then he was up doing flips and spins. When I tried to cycle a fresh cartridge, the empty was not ejected and caused a jam. By the time I got a fresh cartridge loaded, the coyote was almost to the brush. A quick shot was a clean miss. I never recovered him, but fairly certain he is dead. Next set. 2 coyotes came running. The largest stopped looking straight at me. Center chest, squeeze. He dropped. I scanned for the other but no dice. Looked at the first one and he is up leaving. Another shot and he dropped. Rifle jammed again. Got another rounding the chamber and looked at the coyote. It was up again! 3rd shot dropped him again
Mind you. This yote was only 70 yards. Once I got the magazine deal straightened out, and walked out to check the coyote, I find the coyote must be dispatche. 4 rounds. Thus is the end of 35 grain V Max for me. I pulled the magazine apart and reamed out the front of the plastic magazine with a dremel tool, and now my Ballistic Tip ammo will work! Now, tou J get the ejection issue fixed.