Thread: Savage 12 BVSS 22-250 to 6mm BR build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If you're going down the rabbit hole then get Wilson seat and maybe even their size die. I get by with a Redding competition seat die and Forster FL size die. But, I only have one foot in the rabbit hole :)

Break in on my Shilen 'select' barrel was 5 rounds.

Now that Dave broke the code on the target Accutrigger the choice is fairly simple, especially with the matching sear.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you're going down the rabbit hole then get Wilson seat and maybe even their size die. I get by with a Redding competition seat die and Forster FL size die. But, I only have one foot in the rabbit hole :)

Break in on my Shilen 'select' barrel was 5 rounds.

Now that Dave broke the code on the target Accutrigger the choice is fairly simple, especially with the matching sear.
    Thank you very much sir! Congrats on the rabbit hole...tell me more when it happened and what distance!

Yes I like LE wilson and the tools they offer. Great suggestion!

Lets see if button pulled Criterion works as good. Lots of praise on the net about them but I have am 50/50 on those as many guys are happy with 1MOA performance.

Dave and I have had communication about the target Accutrigger trigger. Thank you I have all the components and its on my list to get to the work done.

Rabbit Hole...I'll be lucky if I get down the Bear Den. Hahahah

Charlie a big thanks to you and Dave, Fuj for your support, it means a great deal to me.

Basic Member
    YW.

I am a solid 1/2MOA shooter. I try to be better and am getting there, but, it is small steps. I have had to refine my shooting (again) and am still working on that part. When did I get addicted? It was with my Axis in .223. When I shot a 2" group at 600yd (yes it was a fluke). Since then I have chased that kind of performance.

Team Savage
    Any remarks on Whidden FL sizers with bushing? I like Cortinas FL die and I want to support him. However I am not sure if the $115 difference is worth it. ((C-$284 vs W-$169))

NOTE: Forrester FL die with three bushings $139 at Midway.

I am wondering if going to 6BR instead of another caliber. Man it's hard finding "good" brass. I spend over 1.5 hours per day looking!

Team Savage
    Here's the single shot mod I did:

I cut theStagger Feed Mag Box mods to accommodate a Score High single feed. After one failure and a few hours of paper and box with blue tape layouts its done. I just need to prime and paint the box so it doesn't rust. a dozen or so trial feeds with 22-250 dummy loads and the 22-250 barrel still attached to the action, I would stay it works very well. Maybe even good enough I'll have the bolt face reworked to remove the ejector spring and ball. Unless one is available on the net.

Heres the first failure. This is where I thought I could us the follower spring "modified" to hold the Score High follower in place using existing Box grooves to hold the spring. Problem is the follower sat to high in the rear and interfered with bolt.
    [IMG][/IMG]

It occurred to me why not just cut the follower box down. Then roll pin the follower in place to secure it. here's the results:

After dimensional cut layout on the blue taped box I set the dremel tool in the vise for a more precise cut.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here the cut box with the follower installed.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Time to fit in the action...fits was just as it came out and the box and follower were installed in the action follower slots. Note the high spot in the box where I didnt cut the factory spot welds off.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Topside view of the install looking down to the feed area. Test Round in second photo.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nearly finished feed single shot feed system minus the paint

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Brass is hard these days and the supply is not very logical. I bought an extra 100 Peterson 6BR a while back. Not sure when we sill see them again. I haven't seen any Lapua 6BR brass for a long time. I noticed 6x47 and 6CM are available. I'd hate to recommend a caliber just because of brass availability. Who knows if it will ever change. Then those might become rare and BR available again.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Brass is hard these days and the supply is not very logical. I bought an extra 100 Peterson 6BR a while back. Not sure when we sill see them again. I haven't seen any Lapua 6BR brass for a long time. I noticed 6x47 and 6CM are available. I'd hate to recommend a caliber just because of brass availability. Who knows if it will ever change. Then those might become rare and BR available again.
    I bought 100 rounds of ALPHA Munitions 6mm BR Brass with small rifle primer pocket today from Bullet Central.......

"good reviews are out there for Alpha, but the only review that matters is a 2-3 times of solid brass prep"

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    Any remarks on Whidden FL sizers with bushing?
    Can't personally speak to their bushing dies but some guys I have a lot of respect for give two thumbs up for Whidden.

Team Savage
    Waiting on cheek riser for Australia. On the jet! Hahaha So stock work is on hold.

Decided to do some bolt work now. Since I have the new barrel it only makes sense to work on the bolt as I need to remove the ejector anyway for headspace setting of the new barrel. Also with the action removed its time to sit in the easy chair put on some lapping compound and start lapping the lugs. I say sit in the easy chair as Its alot of manual cycling. Especially since I already see with the naked eye some ruff surfaces action. Ill probably start with 500 and move to 800 then 1000. Just hope my 60 year old containers are still in good shape. If not I'll probably get some Wheelers or something. Any recommendations will be heard and strongly considered.

Does anyone know the size of the ejector retainer pin? I ask as I'll probably get a similar size drill I don't have a drive pin punch that small.

Lastly I discovered the C clip on the trigger/sear retaining pin is missing. I think its a factory issue as I cannot recall ever disabling this rifle. There had never been a need to disassemble as it has only 127 rounds through it. Now I need to find a E-clip!

BTW here is the 12BVSS in 2004 right after barrel break in. But you know carrying a 12 lb-13 rifle on 6 calling stands/day in a mans late 40's to early 50's was kinda ridiculous! So it was put away and it sat until now.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am having a blast (no pun) on this mod! Thanks to Savage Shooters and all the info I have recieved. This site solved my question I have had!

Larry
    Last edited by LDSILLS; 03-09-2024 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add a photo

I saw where David Hobeck had some e clips. Check with him.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.