Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
I don't think that both of these things can be true. While 2900 fps isn't out of the ordinary for what you read online- it is still abusing the barrel. Lots of people shoot at that bullet/velocity combo- but the result is less barrel life. Most reloading data (companies with pressure testing equipment) shows around 2700 to 2750 max velocity.... and the Norma factory ammo (only factory ammo that I'm aware of) is around 2650 fps with a 105 grain bullet.

That last 100 fps that we all want to get can do some crazy things- such as cutting a barrels life in half..... sometimes it's worth it- other times its not.

I hear what you're saying, and it's true. My friends and I have talked about this recently. I believe that shooters that are doing well with their 6mm's and 223's at 1000 yards are burning barrels. I take very few shots at 900/1000 yards. Most shots are between 200 and 700 yards. A lower energy level will work well at those distances. I'll work on the throat of this barrel and use the reloads I have left to see what happens. Thanks to all for the feedback.