Quote Originally Posted by Andrew863 View Post
That makes sense, we have had a company have us make pins that were used in harsh environments mainly for corrosion resistance, they ended up having wear issues and going to a heat treated stainless. I can remember which one now it's been several years. But you are correct if it's not a hard steel there are no worries at all with ti. Also you must have some extreme patience to make these how you do. They look impressive, I don't like running Ti even with a 50k lathe lol
I do have some other-worldly patience… but also, I’m disabled & not on a clock. I can’t do much for very long. So I might do a little for 45mins to an hour and need to stop. By means, my patience is pretty much a given, LOL! Little projects take me days & days, or even weeks! If I was my old self, pre-accident, and machining full time or even very regularly, I would not be using Titanium much. It’s too time consuming, too hard on equipment & WAY to costly..both in material & tool usage! I can get away with it for little items like this because I’m slow & only making 1 or 2 of these small parts I make. Even the firing pin I machined was made from S7 tool steel, not Titanium. (Although I’ve thought of doing one in Titanium.)