Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
Maybe it does. I suspect that unless you shoot in the 'ones' you probably won't see any difference between the target and std actions.

The ports are just what people like. As Fuj put it, it is more for convenience than anything else. Such as, why have ejected rounds coming out in the midst of your ammo box, spotting scope, note pad, etc, etc? Some, like me, remove the ejector anyway and pluck the empty case from the chamber.
Exactly my friend. It’s a “piece of mind thing”. It’s similar to something as say, Rings. Which do most people prefer, 1 or 2 screw Rings? 2-screw of course. But why? Because we know they are stronger! And even if that strength is not needed we want it anyway! Because it assures us our scopes aren’t going anywhere. It gives the user piece of mind. I’ll also say there is a hint of aesthetics preference here as well. Nice, Billet Aluminum 2-screw Rings look nicer. It can be argued the Small Port style Target Actions also look nicer. Even the large port style Action used in a few models are more aesthetically pleasing. But no, as Charlie mentioned, even those shooting consistent .25” groups won’t see any discernible difference. I’m a very good shooter, but I can honestly say I wouldn’t see any difference over my standard open style Model 10 Action. Thing is, this is true of Custom Actions as well. Go figure.