Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
I find the discussion of steel to be both interesting and very informative as I have little knowledge of it. I have purchased a few knives from Bucks custom shop over the last few years and have ordered the S30V.
I never bothered to look into it until I recently heard about S35V and found that S30V was sintered, which I found interesting. I realize these are still production knives but I expected a better finish on the edge coming from the custom shop. I can see quite of bit of "chatter" along the edge and can visually see that the bevel is higher on one side than the other. I will say though it is as sharp as the dickens.
Have to be careful with that.. calling every PM steel “Sintered”. Steel companies like Crucible & Böhler-Uddeholm use a completely different form of Powder Metallurgy than what you are thinking of by the term “Sintering”. The PM process & newest Crucible CPM processes are used for ultra high alloy steels to press into bars, or ingots. These are then roll pressed to various thickness, sizes. This is nothing like some companies making small, finished part through sintering. They only share that both metals started as Powder. However, for knife steel, it is only a now forge pressed Bar or Ingot which must then be hammer forged or Stock Removal (machined, & the process I use), to create a knife. In “Sintering”, the part is made with Powder Metal and then is “Sintered” with a binder in a furnace. Also, the steel used is typically lower quality.

I know several sites are calling the S30V steel “Sintered”, however, it’s not entirely correct. Powder Metallurgy & Sintered don’t necessarily go hand in hand. The steel used was made via PM process, then stock removal (Machining), was performed by Buck to create the blade. S30V & S35V are “ok”, but there are much better steels now. Once again, I only use Crucible CPM steels. CPM3V (the greatest steel EVER!) and CPM20CV(an incredibly tough & corrosion resistant stainless, so resistant, it can be used as a dive knife.)

Here is a great article by a brilliant Metallurgist I’ve had some dealing with in the past. An easier way to think of the difference is older technology in order to create small, finished parts from regular, low carbon steels VS Newer technology to create steel pressed Bars or Ingots for further machine processing to finished product, & from High Alloy steels.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/08/...er-metallurgy/