Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
Question on decision for the Criterion barrel over the Shilen barrel from NSS? I was pondering the Shilen on mine.
I’ve already used Shillen. That is what the Criterion is replacing. As I had indicated, I very much wanted to try McGowen & was even about to order! But then I got a bad vibe during some emailing back & forth with Dan over there, I decided against it. The Shilen was great, though. It was exceptional quality, the bore was lapped nicely polished & it performed well. My only contention however, it had quite a short throat. I wasn’t even able to load 260 Rem to 2.800” COAL. So I ended up throating myself. In the end, I decided to fall back on Criterion as I know they are proven consistent. I will say, unless you are a hand loader & looking for a custom setup, don’t have any doubt getting the Shilen. I wouldn’t hesitate using them again. However, if I did, I would send them a couple loaded dummy rounds with my longest bullet choice, at the longest COAL I wanted at the lands. But regardless, the Shilen wasn’t available in 260 Ackley Improved (which I was set on), or in 1.7.5 twist (which I was also set on.) Oh, and the Criterion ends up being less expensive for what I wanted as well. Not to mention available in 260AI with a .160” Freebore(VLD or “Match” Chamber)

One gets to a point in all this they simply don’t ask any question. They don’t seek other’s opinions on certain things and do what they want. Go with what your heart says.