Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
I recently bought a 12 FTR in 308 new in box. Paid $1300. I've only had it out to 300yds so far, but it did sub moa at 300. I love this rifle!
Assuming you reload, check the chamber carefully. Many Savages have short/tight chambers. My bolt has hard to close on factory ammo or any new brass. Now I bump the shoulder .003" and it's perfect.
You would think the 30" 1/12 twist would like 155's, but mine will only shoot moa with 155. I get 1/2 moa at 100yd with 168's, 44.0 RL15.
Also found that -020" is the sweet spot for seating depth.
Yes, I do reload....I will definitely keep an eye on that, thanks. I have a Rem 700 that has a very tight chamber, I have to be really careful with the ammo I fire through it.
I have 3 other 308's and they all seem to like a 168gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmafiddleman View Post
Yeah, I was also surprised about twist and the 155's. I have a 110 with a 1:10 twist 30" barrel and it loves the 155's as much as the heavies (175-190's). On the other hand I also have a 12 target action Palma with 1:13 30" barrel that shoots the 178 ELD's as good as the 155 class of bullits.
Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
It is a bit interesting. My 12BVSS with 1:10 26" barrel likes the 155's and barely tolerates the 168's. It is really picky about the 175's. Off a bit on the load either way and it falls apart. But, the right load and it works great. Now days all it sees are cast, usually 210's :)
It'll be interesting to see what this rifle likes...I do have quite the selection of bullets to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
I think Slim is talking more External Action Vice than Internal action wrench. Some nuts are Very Tight and will bend an internal wrench that just contacts the internal lugs Possibly causing damage to them.
I ended up ordering a 2-lug internal action wrench, an external action vise and a Savage barrel nut wrench just to start a decent collection of tools.

I did end up getting a Anschutz rail to Arca rail adapter from Altus Shooting Solutions so I can use an Arca rail bipod I already have.