Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
My own 2 cents (worth every penny) would be to skip the barrel vice and go with an action wrench. Wrap the front of the action (just the portion that the action wrench will fit on) with scotch tape to prevent the action wrench from marring the finish on the front of the action. There's really no better way (in my opinion). Problem with a barrel vice is, unless the vice inserts fit your barrel you're trying to take out *exactly right*, there's a pretty good chance you'll mar the barrel finish. Or worse, that the barrel will just slip in the vice entirely, and you can't get enough grip to get the barrel loose.

I've never NOT been able to get a barrel off (or on, but that's easy) with an action wrench to hold the receiver, and a nut wrench and dead blow hammer to loosen the nut. I "hold" my action wrench in my shop bench vice to keep it stable and stationary. I think 3 smacks with the dead blow hammer on the action wrench is the most I've ever needed to get one loose. And that was on my buddy's blued finish 204 Ruger chambered Savage. Most have been 1 mild smack only.
Awesome! Thank you for the information....I will look at those. Are most 2 lug action wrenches the same? I mean, will I need to order one specifically for a model 12, or will one for "savage action" fit all?

Such as this: https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighor...action-wrench/