Quote Originally Posted by boweevil
Earl39
Thanks for the reply. The brass ageing may be a percentage of the problem. I did however get a very extensive and informative reply on another forum, about the effects of heat on powder, both in loaded rounds and still in the factory container. The individual had experienced almost the same conditions as I. He quoted both military literature and Alliant responses to his problem and it boiled down to this; Heat causes the powder to deteriorate and give off gases. These gases weaken the brass to the point that it becomes brittle and cracks, either during the firing of the round or in worse conditions while the round is still in the box. I don't know if this forum allows links to another forum or I would post a link to his response. This problem took me quite by surprise but it is a condition that EVERY reloader should be aware of. Store Your Powder In A Cool Environment and be leary of old powder, even if still in the factory container.
Again, thanks for your response.
Boweevil23
You could say you Savaged our forum at http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429270

"By the way, I had posted this on another forum, had many views but not a single reply. I KNOW what forum I'll put confidence in from now on."

Boweevil23