Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
I hate to say this, but, it may not have been your rifle. When I got my .223 it was my first accurate rifle in over 20 years. I had grown up with military rifles and a deer rifle that was never shot past 100yd. When I was in my 20's I could hit military targets at 400yd with open sights. The Axis was much more accurate and was my first attempt at range since the 70's. I found myself able to squeak out MOA groups, but, could not seem to break that limit.

I finally had to admit it was me and not the rifle. Took several range sessions and a good bag/rest combination before I could get my technique improved. Back to basics kind of thing. Solid position, trigger control, breathing, etc. I finally got myself to settle down and I could get consistent 1/2MOA groups. I just cannot get below that consistently, even with a much better rifle. And yes, it is me. I am just not patient enough and I lose concentration easily.

After that I started on my wind reading at longer ranges. That was another big step for me and I am still not that good at it.
Well I was a SAW gunner so not much transfers to this! I do realize that I probably know just enough to drive myself crazy. But I have always enjoyed afternoons at the range, in and out of uniform. And from what I have seen in the forums the brotherhood is similar also. I look forward to my chance to speed a few days just learning and watching at a match.