Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
I also like the 103 V tac automated bullets from Vapor trails, they are extremely consistent at a great price and Tom keeps plenty in stock.
The bad thing about 6 br testing at 100 yards is that all the rounds go in such a small area it’s tough analyzing targets, most of my testing is at 300 yards and beyond allowing separation between bullets.
Jim,

THANK YOU!! I got some of the Vtac bullets and just finished shooting a few groups. Short story is I shot the smallest 200yd group ever for me, on the first loads with these bullets. 0.49" at 200yd!! Three of the rounds in one largish hole.

I will be getting a lot more of these.

Longer story. As above I have had great results with the 103gn and 90gn ELD-X bullets from Hornady. Why the 108 ELD match bullets don't do as well remains a mystery. I bought the Vtacs just to see how much better they might be. The price was indeed good, even for just the 100 I got to do some load development.

First time out I didn't expect much. It was cold, low 30's, but no wind. I had 20 of the 103ELDX bullets as a 'control'. For this initial shooting I decided to use the best ELDX load, 28.0gn Varget, and then go up and down 0.2gn. So the Vtacs were 10 each at 27.8, 28.0 and 28.2gn. The ELDX's did just as expected, 1" and 1.2" at 200yd. The 27.8gn load was not promising. 1.5" and almost 2".

Then the 28gn load. First 5 rounds went into 0.9" and one of those rounds was pulled a bit. I took a minute here to calm down a bit and fired the next 5. The first bullet hit within 0.2" of the point of aim. The second was touching it. The third I felt myself twitch just a bit and the round went a bit left. The 4th round was touching the first two and the fifth was again to the left but not as far. 0.49"

The 28.2gn load started out with two rounds touching each other. Unfortunately the rest went into 1". The next 5 were the same, 1". Still, not shabby at all.

To say I was shocked is an understatement. First, that the bullets are that good. Second, my skills have improved. I can now see when I am doing something wrong, like rushing a shot, not holding the aimpoint precisely, a sideways force on the trigger, etc. In the past I have described myself as a 1/2MOA shooter. To be honest I still am, at least until I can do better on a more consistent basis.

So, just to reiterate, those Vtac bullets from Vapor Trails are now my go to bullet for the 6BR. The bonus is they are close to the same cost as the Hornady bullets.