Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Machining a firing pin is easier than you may think. I’ve shown this in other threads… I did this one in S7 Tool steel for the extra weight, but I’ll likely make one in Titanium at some point. I turn these small parts on my mill also. I don’t have the space for a proper sized lathe. The pictures show the factory pin on (Top) and the one I machined (Bottom)
Wow--so nice! And no lathe either. Your result is proof of what I often say; the end result is 90% machinist and only 10% machine. Well--that's assuming few time constraints and I know that production machine work is another story, but clever and ingenious and often time-consuming setups can make up for much of the lack of machine! I'll search for your other treads.

Off topic:
Your photos remind me that I need to repair my good digital camera (for a second time) so I can document my work for others to peruse too. My cheap smartphone takes crappy close-ups! The repair of my better digital camera requires something like 2 hours of microsurgery to access a sticking iris and re-assemble it. It's a plastic iris and, though probably made from thin nylon or other "self lubricating" material, its gets sticky in time. It's a known bug in these otherwise nice but older Sanyo Xacti cameras and the fix is to clean the sticky factory factory-applied lubricant using denatured alcohol and re-assemble it without any lube. It worked for a couple of years after the last time, but it's sticking again. I now suspect the plastic might be denaturing in time and shedding some kind of sticky substance. I might try soaking it in Frog Lube after cleaning before wiping it dry this time, but I have to find the time to do it.