Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
Amazing that anyone who has actually used iron sights vs a fast low mounted low power variable would opt for irons.

Don't see ANY of our troops who engage enemy from 15' to 400 yards using irons. HINT, HINT !

Been hunting for 6+ decades and see NO applications for iron sights on rifles.

More internet BS on display.

This was the HOT rig for 99s in the late 40s thru the 60s. 2.5X Lyman Alaskan mounted
as low as iron sights and a far faster and more accurate rig. With a post and CH acquisition was instant with everything
one the same focal plane. Rather than three w/irons,

JOC used this scope with a FIVE inch dot to kill everything with his famous 270 M70.

Even handguns today are going to red dot optics.

Gump was right.

All I’ve used on my 99’s are iron sights. And that’s all I want to have on them. I’ve harvested many deer without issues over the years and I prefer the look and simplicity of them. They are much better in the bush and the inclement weather that I often hunt in.
I have scopes on other rifles, but not my 99’s which are my bush guns.
As a young boy I learned to shoot strictly with iron sights. And I’m glad I did today. My son is also learning the same way. Iron sights first. Scope later when he’s older and demonstrate good skill with iron sights first. This makes him a much more versatile hunter.